Tuesday, June 28, 2011

246 Quartz Rocks

246 Quartz Rocks
Object: Two large quartz rocks

Acquired: 2008

From: A beach in Rhode Island

Notes: When you rub two quartz rocks together you get a bit of triboluminescence, which is a fancy term for 'light from friction.'  As you might imagine, this made quartz an essential part of every night hike kit.

Since I was in New England, I would every so often find myself on a Rhode Island beach, where I was ever in search of descent quartz rocks to use. I'm not sure exactly which trip I picked these up, but I think it was the time we somewhat impulsively went to a tiny bar/restaurant on the seacoast, where we had bloody marys, the 'best breakfast in the world' (neither of which were as good as I'd been led to believe) and watched the ocean. That was a fun little side-trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment